Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Brief Note


I have been trying not to think about the 2008 election in the "horserace" fashion that is so increasingly common. I've elaborated before on my concerns about the early nature of the contest. The announcement several days ago that Barack Obama is to go under Secret Service protection only increased my concerns. But I cannot help making at least one observation form the stands: Al Gore has a new book coming out this month. It's a little below the radar right now, but my guess is once we start getting closer to the release date of The Assault on Reason the media is not going to be able to help bringing up the buzz around Gore again. Expect to start seeing a lot more publicity around a potential Gore candidacy coming soon. If Gore is planning a run, there's a good chance we may find out in the next month or so. The release of the new book will present a window of opportunity Gore, if he is still interested, (which I am uncertain of) would be foolish to miss, especially considering the pace at which the contest is already accelerating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be joyful if Gore ran.
My fears for the environment would certainly be quelled if he won.

Anonymous said...

would you support Gore if he ran?

Anonymous said...

I have several responses to this posting. A) I honestly think it would have been the perfect opportunity to announce his candidacy at the oscars, even though some belief that if he had done so he wpuldn't have been taken seriously. B) In response to constance's comment, I too agree that it would be quite a relief, if you will, if Gore ran in terms of the enviornment, although do you really think that we can trust Gore to 1. Make these changes that he seems so adament, and 2. Make enough of a difference that our concerns for the environment would/could be comlpletly obliterated? and 3. (This one is kind of directed to the quiet american) that other canidates have a platform that could be as strong as Gore's potentially would be concering the environment?

The Quiet American said...

It's possible I would support him. For now, though, I'm witholding judgement regarding 08. And I think that anouncing at the Oscars would have been a terrible idea. Then the "holywood liberal elitist" talk would never, ever, end.

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean, "Maia." I personally have the suspicion that some liberals are sensationalising the material (to seem like the "good guys") in order to gain more votes.